Sunday, March 6, 2016

Long time, no see...

Well hello!

As I write this, I realize that it has been about 3 years and 10 months since my last Dresses and Curls blog post. Can you believe it?! That is, if anyone sees this...I suppose you aren't regularly checking my blog to see if I've posted anything after almost 4 years of radio silence?

I don't really remember why I stopped posting 4 years ago, but I do know that lately I have begun to miss it. I got nostalgic and went through all of my old blog posts, and I remembered just how fun it was. So I've decided to give it another shot!

So, what has changed in the last four years? Well...a lot. To start, I [finally!] graduated with my bachelor's degree this past December. It was a day that, for a long time, I thought might never come, but in 2014 I really buckled down and powered through my final four semesters at Arizona State University after years of biding my time at community college. And all of the hard work (and sleepless nights, and crazed study sessions, and tears, and so on...) finally paid off, and I graduated with honors!



Not too long after graduating, I got a job as the publication coordinator for a botanical garden here in Phoenix. I just started a month ago, and I'm loving my new job and the start of my career in publishing! That is another reason I've been itching to get this blog up and running again...now that I'm starting to build up a business-casual work wardrobe, I want to document it here.

The thing is, when I was blogging before, I had more motivation to put thought into what I wore and, as a result, I felt more confident in how I looked. And more than anything, it was a lot of fun!

So here we go again...I'll try to update regularly again, starting...NOW:


Today was a strange mix of a Sunday: early in the day I was busy, and in the afternoon I was lazy, lazy, lazy. In the morning I went with my boyfriend to a little luncheon at his grandma's church to celebrate her 83rd birthday! Then I had a quiet afternoon to make up for an otherwise busy weekend. I binge-watched four episodes of Downton Abbey so that I could catch up for tonight's finale!

Top: Maurice's. Pants: Old Navy.

I love the Pixie Chino ankle pants from Old Navy because they're so comfortable and versatile. I can wear them to work with a nice blouse and flats, or roll them up at the ankles and wear them with a t-shirt on the weekend. Confession time: I own them in four colors (and, let's be honest, I plan on buying more in the future) but I can't get enough of this lovely lilac shade. I have a feeling I'm going to be wearing these a lot this spring!

Oh, and don't even get me started on the top. I bought this recently on my first-ever visit to Maurice's. I am officially in love with that store (I bought way more than I should have on that trip!) because they have lots of cute, trendy pieces along with a good mix of staple pieces, and it's all affordable. The good news is there's a Maurice's within walking distance of my house. The bad news is...well, there's a Maurice's within walking distance of my house. Quick, somebody take my wallet away from me!

Even though I was just lounging around and watching Downton on my computer, I didn't take this outfit off all day (and that's really saying a lot, as I usually come home from work and immediately change into sweats.) My mom and I had a fancy little tea party to celebrate the series finale of Downton Abbey and I sort of felt like I could fit in with the classy outfits of 1925 with this lovely lace piece. Okay...sort of.

Shoes: thrifted.

Earrings: gift

These earrings were part of my graduation gift from my boyfriend's parents and I am so in love with them. In the future when I wear these in a post I'll be sure to get a better detail shot because they are just so gorgeous and classic, I wear them all the time!

Sunglasses: Target. Lipstick: Matte Darling by Milani

Oh, and if you read this blog before (or know me in Real Life) you might notice that I've changed my hair! I made a BIG leap in December by cutting a whole lot of my hair off (something I mulled over for about 11 months to make sure I was really ready to do it!)

Yeah...I had a LOT of hair (don't mind the greasy hair on the left, I sort of just rolled out of bed and went straight to the salon that morning)

Then just last week I chopped it again, this time opting to go even shorter with this sassy little asymmetrical bob. I must say, I have the short hair bug and I am loving it. I mean, it's quick to dry, easy to style, and it's going to be amazing in the summer when it's 115 out and I don't have a lion's mane of hair on my head.


So that's my first new post sorted....I must say, I'm excited to be back! Much more excited than little Lucky, it seems...


Oh, and on that note, I'll end this with a picture of my little baby! I have a new cat since I last posted here. Her name is Penelope and I've had her for nearly three years. The other two cats you have seen in this blog are my parents' cats, but Penelope is mine (ALL MINE!) She is sweet and cuddly but hates being picked up so don't expect any me-holding-my-cat-with-crazy-eyes pictures of her, since she has front claws and I rather like having unscathed skin. But here she is in all her sweet adorableness, and there's that.

See you next time (and yes, there will be a next time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment