Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What Goes Around Comes Around

 

Fashion trends are cyclical, which means sometimes things come around a little sooner than I’m ready for. Real life example: The other day I was at the store and saw a sign for “front-seam jeans” on sale. Let’s hope the reason they were marked down was because the store realized that the world is not ready for front-seam jeans to be in fashion again so soon. That would be like opening the proverbial bad-fashion floodgates, and we’d soon be seeing acid-washed jeans, those weird satin corset tops from Charlotte Russe, and ultra-low-rise pants with neon thongs. I think I just got over the horrors of seeing all of that in the early 2000’s, so I can’t handle it again!

With just about every new trend, I have a tendency to start out hating it. Sometimes, though, I’ll come around, like I did a few years ago with gladiator sandals and more recently with maxi dresses. There’s that trend of oversized, slightly cropped T-shirts that some girls pull off so well, and I pretty much hated it because I am not one of those summery, casual, beach-ready girls that belongs in LA. But I found a couple of these shirts on clearance the other day, so I tried them on—and I kind of loved it. Now, this shirt isn’t really very cropped, which is why it works, and I don’t really see myself buying into the trend again, but one time isn’t so bad, right?

IMG_8051 
Top: Old Navy. Jeans: Levi’s. Purse: Target.

I wore this to a baseball game with my mom last Friday…I wasn’t so sure about the photos, which is why I waited so long to post them. But I have been a little sick this week, which means I have been entirely unmotivated to do such difficult tasks as, say, wash my hair or put on makeup. So it’s a good thing I had these as backup :)

IMG_8065
Sandals: Target

IMG_8053 
[Please excuse the lens refraction…]

The other day at Target I saw another old trend that I remember being so in love with when I was 12 or 13—those skirts that hit above the knee in the front, and mid-calf in the back. Please, please let that be a one-time bad choice by the Target designers, because I just don’t think the world is ready to revisit the skirt mullet!

No comments:

Post a Comment